Missy Elliott Announces First Ever Headlining Tour

Missy Elliott Announces First Ever Headlining Tour

Missy Elliott, the iconic rapper, singer, songwriter and producer, will embark on her first ever headlining tour this summer.

Kicking off on July 4 in Vancouver, Out of This World: The Missy Elliott Experience Tour also includes Busta Rhymes, Ciara, and longtime collaborator Timbaland. The 24-city concert series is set to make stops in Los Angeles, New York, Las Vegas, Houston, and Toronto, among others.

“This is an incredible time in my life as I am experiencing so many milestone ‘firsts,’” Elliott said in a statement. “Being the FIRST female hip-hop artist to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and now going out on my FIRST headline tour,. Fans have been asking me to tour forever but I wanted to wait until I felt the time was right because I knew if I was ever going to do it, I had to do it big, and I had to do it with family!”

News of the tour went live earlier today with a clip that was directed by Dave Meyers, the acclaimed music video director.

 

Article continues after video.

The tour is being produced by Live Nation in association with Mona Scott-Young, CEO of Monami Entertainment, and Missy’s longtime manager. The Love & Hip-Hop creator told Variety that Elliott’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was the impetus for the upcoming tour.

“I think that was a seismic moment for her as well, where she realized that this was a goal and a dream that she had been working so hard to attain,” says Scott-Young. “And now that she felt that she had achieved that pinnacle, she wanted to really do this thing that she put off for so long, which was go out on the road.”

Presale for the Out of This World: The Missy Elliott Experience Tour starts Tuesday, with other presales happening throughout the week, followed by general on-sale tickets beginning Friday, April 12.

 



 

Pharrell Williams, Chad Hugo in legal dispute over “Neptunes” name rights

Pharrell Williams, Chad Hugo in legal dispute over “Neptunes” name rights

Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo are currently in a legal dispute over The Neptunes name.

According to a filing obtained by Billboard, Hugo is accusing Williams of trying to obtain sole rights to the legendary songwriting and production duo’s name.

“Throughout their over thirty year history, [Hugo] and Williams agreed to, and in fact, have divided all assets,” Hugo’s attorney, Kenneth D. Freundlich alleged in documents submitted to a federal tribunal.

Freundlich said that Williams’ holdings company, PW IP Holdings, submitted three separate applications to trademark “The Neptunes” name in 2022. Williams is accused of having “knowingly and intentionally” applied without Hugo’s input, despite not having “unilateral authority to register the trademarks.”

“By ignoring and excluding [Hugo] from any and all applications filed by applicant for the mark ‘The Neptunes,’” the filing said Williams “has committed fraud in securing the trademarks and acted in bad faith.”

Hugo’s lawyer also said that Williams and his team had been contacted “repeatedly” about the issue, during which they “admitted that [Hugo] is equal co-owner of the trademarks.” However, Hugo claimed that Williams did not fulfill his promise of splitting the trademark due to unspecified business terms, which would cut Hugo out of equal control and compensation.

During the aughts, Williams and Hugo solidified themselves as one of the music industry’s most sought-after producers, producing hit singles like Snoop Dogg‘s “Drop It Like It’s Hot” and Gwen Stefani‘s “Hollaback Girl.”

The FADER has yet to hear back from Freundlich’s office on behalf of Hugo. Meanwhile, representatives for Williams said that he was “surprised” by the filing.

“We have reached out on multiple occasions to share in the ownership and administration of the trademark and will continue to make that offer,” they continued. “The goal here was to make sure a third party doesn’t get a hold of the trademark and to guarantee Chad and Pharrell share in ownership and administration.”

Read Billboard‘s entire report on The Neptunes dispute here.